You traditionally think of making and eating hot and gooey s'mores around a campfire. I have changed that at my house recently while finding myself with an abundance of graham crackers, left over marshmallows, and a pile of clearance priced 8 oz. chocolate bars!
It began when I was taking a full dinner into a family without much notice. I was using what I had on hand and what my time allowed.
I had prepared the entire meal, it was almost time to go when I realized that I had not made a dessert. When I pulled the ribs and chicken out of the oven it sparked the idea of making some oven s'mores. They would be quick, easy, and a fun treat for the young family.
I made them up following the directions below and loosely wrapped them in foil when they were done. I had the family warm them in in the loosely wrapped foil to bring them back to their goo...iest best when they were ready to have dessert!
Since then, I have been making them with my grandchildren for a sweet treat at grandma's house.
Anytime Broiler S'Mores
You will need: graham crackers, mini marshmallows, and chocolate bars or chips.
My grandchildren from ages 2-10 have loved making these s'mores.
1. Break the graham crackers in half and place them on a baking sheet. (2 crackers squares per s'more)
2. Have the children top each of the crackers with nine mini marshmallows. (18 mini marshmallows per s'more)
3. Preheat the broiler.
4. Cut up the chocolate bar or use chocolate chips. Older children can help you do this. Younger ones can count out the number of chocolate pieces they are going to need.
5. Place the pan of marshmallow topped grahams under the broiler.
6. Keep your eye on them. They melt and brown very quickly.
7. Remove from oven when they are golden brown.
8. Warn the children that the pan is not.
9. Older children can carefully place the chocolate pieces on one of the marshmallow topped crackers. For younger children move their crackers to a cool plate.
10. Sandwich the top graham over the chocolate and gently squeeze the melted marshmallow into the chocolate pieces.
It's as easy as that!
No dirt, no ash, no smoke in your eyes.
Just, a handful of gooey goodness!